Fun Mushroom Facts:
- Mushrooms contain more protein than most vegetables.
- Mushrooms are one of the few natural sources of vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones and health.
- Mushrooms contain more potassium than most other fruit and vegetables: one medium brown mushroom contains more potassium than a banana.
- Mushrooms are one of the richest, natural sources of selenium, an essential mineral which strengthens the immune system and may help reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic illness.
- Mushrooms are an excellent source of copper, a mineral that the body needs to produce red blood cells and for other important functions.
- Mushrooms are unique for their Unami content, meaning a "savory" or "meaty" taste
- Mushrooms deliver the antioxidants selenimus & ergothioneine, which help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Mushrooms provide B vitamins, which help provide energy by breaking down proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
- During the Dinosaur Age, mushrooms could grow big as trees.
- Ancient Egyptians thought mushrooms were magic because of the way they appeared overnight.
- Nearly six out of every ten people have consumed mushrooms in the past week.
- Mushrooms are found on every continent in the world and therefore used in almost every cuisine.
- Kennett Square, PA is considered the mushroom capital of the world because they produce more mushrooms than any other area of the world.
There is always [mush-room] for mushrooms on your plate!